Re: [h-e-w] brief emulation on emacs on Windows

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] brief emulation on emacs on Windows
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:26:20 +0100

From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 9:11 AM
Subject: [h-e-w] brief emulation on emacs on Windows

http://www.emacs.mirkolinkonline.de/download/brief.el
http://www.geekware.de/software/emacs/index.html#bs.
> 6. Created .emacs file with only one line that reads
> (require 'brief)
>
> 7. Since I have no home directory, I moved the .emacs file to c:\
>
> Still the brief emulation does not work.
> I am testing this by loading a .cpp file and hitting <end> keys.
> In Brief <End> takes u to end of line, <end><end> takes to the end of
> The editor comes up, loads the file, but i have to use the native keys.
Ctrl-x etc.

> What am I doing wrong?

Maybe you put the brief files in the wrong place.  In Emacs, do C-h v
load-path.  The brief files should be in one of the directories listed.  In
Emacs 21.3, the following two directories are automatically included in
load-path, and I suggest using one of them (preferably the second since it
is independent of the Emacs version):

emacs-21.3/site-lisp, emacs-21.3/../site-lisp.

This may not apply to Emacs 20.  But in any version you can choose an
arbitrary directory and then put in your .emacs, before any reference to
brief, something like this:

(add-to-list 'load-path "e:/NTEmacs/site-lisp") ; must be early!

Then, restart Emacs.

Francis