[h-e-w] Re: dired-execute-file

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: dired-execute-file
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:53:56 -0400

There was a discussion several months ago about GnuClient and SendTo in
which a few of us tinkered with using SendTo to visit a selection of
files.  I recall that we discovered a limit to the number of files that
could be "transferred" over to Emacs with this method.  Perhaps it was
17?  As well, it seem to differ depending on which OS it was tried on.

Anyway, it's easy to put GnuClient in SendTo.  The hard part may be in
finding your SendTo directory.  In WinNT, SendTo is
c:\WinNT\Profiles\YourUserName\SendTo (IIRC).  In Win2K, it's actually
hidden, and it's at C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\SendTo .
Once you navigate to the directory, right-click in it and select
New->Shortcut.  In "Type the location..." enter
C:\EMACS\bin\gnuclientw.exe -q -F and click Next.  In the next box,
enter the command you'd like to see on the shortcut menu for Emacs.
That's it.

You can get a little fancy.  If you right-click on the new shortcut and
select properties, you can specify the working directory for Emacs.  By
default it's C:\EMACS\bin.  As well, you can select a different icon.

HTH