[h-e-w] lpr-region on Windows XP

From: Richard M. Heiberger
Subject: [h-e-w] lpr-region on Windows XP
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 01:16:14 -0400 (EDT)

I have more questions on printing from NTemacs 21.3 with Windows XP.

ps-print-region works correctly when I use the various tips from this
list over the past year.

lpr-region doesn't for reasons that don't make sense to me.

I am using a lexmark x125 connected thruogh a USB port.
It works correctly from the PRINT menu on Wordpad, YAP, GSview, and from
M-x ps-print-region in Emacs.

I have several ways that almost work for lpr-region.
Any of these:
  (setq printer-name "//RMH-HP/LexmarkX")
  (setq lpr-command "print")
  (setq lpr-switches '(" /D:\\\\RMH-HP\\LexmarkX "))
send something to the printer, but it is not the right something.
The printer advance the paper by one line, but puts no ink on it, and
doesn't eject the paper.

I also tried several ways from the DOS prompt.
c:\> copy filename \\rmh-hp\lexmarkx
same problem.  clicks, no content

c:\> Net use LPT2: \\rmh-hp\lexmarkx
c:\> copy filename lpt2:
same problem.  clicks, no content

I got a new copy of PrintFile (previously 1.3, now 1.5).  Same problem.

I tried cygwin lpr with no success.
/cygdrive/c/HOME/rmh$ lpr -PLexmarkX .bashrc
/cygdrive/c/HOME/rmh$ lpr -P'//RMH-HP/LexmarkX' .bashrc
lpr: can't open '//RMH-HP/LexmarkX' for writing
lpr: The printer name is invalid.

/cygdrive/c/HOME/rmh$ lpr -SRMH-HP -PLexmarkX .bashrc
lpr: unknown option -- S
lpr: unknown option: '?'
/cygdrive/c/HOME/rmh$

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to make lpr-region work with
Windows XP?