Re: [h-e-w] lpr-region on Windows XP

From: Richard M. Heiberger
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] lpr-region on Windows XP
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 19:39:33 -0400 (EDT)

I have a working workaround.

;;; experiments with "notepad /p", based on S-Plus objprint()
(setq printer-name "")         ;; notepad takes the default
(setq lpr-command "notepad")   ;; notepad
(setq lpr-switches nil)        ;; not needed
(setq lpr-printer-switch "/P") ;; run notepad as batch printer

.This makes lpr-region and lpr-buffer work.
This is much faster than ps-print-region.
;; ;;; This prints 63 lines and 82 columns of my file,
;; ;;; plus a fake filename and a real page number

I attempted to change the margins and header/footer in the Notepad "Page Setup",
but those changes don't apply to the use of notepad as a printing filter.
I have no documentation for notepad, so I don't know if there are other
switches available.  As I noted, I found this by looking at S-Plus who
figured this out years ago.  I could not find th "/P" switch in the Windows
Help files for notepad under XP or 98 or in a 3.1 printed manual.

To Jason's query, the Lexmark documentation doesn't say anything about DOS.
I think the email support said it doesn't work with DOS.  I say "I think"
because my question was "what is the equivalent to 'LPT1:' for a USB port?".

.Rich