RE: [h-e-w] Selecting and setting a fixed width font for NT

From: Mason, Michael M
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Selecting and setting a fixed width font for NT
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:58:44 +0100

It's a bit of a long story, so if you're sitting comfortably...

Microsoft originally distributed Andale Mono with Internet Explorer 4,
except that they called it "Monotype.com" at that time.  Internet Explorer 4
is the only product that Microsoft ever distributed Andale Mono (or
Monotype.com) with.

However, around that time,  Microsoft started a project called "Core Fonts
for the Web" and set up a website where you could download a number of fonts
that Microsoft hoped would become widely used on the Web.  The full list is
available at http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/default.asp, where
you'll see that Andale Mono was one of those fonts.

For some unknown reason, Microsoft discontinued "Core Fonts for the Web"
last August (see http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/), so you
can't download Andale Mono from that website any more.  However, don't
despair yet!  Although you can't download the font, you can take a look at
the EULA for the "Core Fonts" at
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fontpack/eula.htm where you'll notice
that anyone who downloaded the "Core Fonts" is entitled to redistribute the
fonts they downloaded as long as they don't make a profit doing so.

So the upshot of all this is that the EULA allows me to e-mail you a copy of
the Andale Mono font that I downloaded from the "Core Fonts" website in
March last year.  So if you, or anyone else, wants a copy, please e-mail me
and I'll send you one.  It comes as a self-installing EXE and is about
195Kb; I'll put it in a ZIP file along with a copy of the EULA, which the
EULA requires me to send you.

--
Michael