searching and replacing with newline or CRLF (was Re: [h-e-w] The list i

From: Robert Praetorius
Subject: searching and replacing with newline or CRLF (was Re: [h-e-w] The list is back up!)
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 15:32:30 -0400

> I am happy to see this list in operation again.
>
> At the risk of boring everyone, I raise an old problem.  I want to do a
> global search and replace where the replacement text includes a CR/LF (I
> am using a PC).  I know how to do the search and replace.  It is the
> CR/LF that puzzles me.

     You can use C-Q (control Q) to quote most any character most places
in Emacs.  Whether you should be using C-Q C-J or C-Q C-M C-Q C-J , I
don't immediately know.  I usually get away with C-Q C-J , but I think
it's possible there may be some dependencies on your environment and the
version and build (e.g., Cygwin vs. non-Cygwin) you're using.

     Experimentation will tell.