Re: [h-e-w] Re: Another problem with MinGW shell in Emacs: directory tra

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Another problem with MinGW shell in Emacs: directory tracking
Date: 17 Oct 2003 16:12:02 -0400

Bill Pringlemeir <address@hidden> writes:

> As Cygwin requires a DLL (and an extra software layer), there are the
> typical DLL clashes.  For instance if you use the vxWorks development
> tools for cross compiling on Window, they use Cygwin underneath.
> Installing a newer Cygwin version can screw up the vxWorks/Tornado
> install.  If you have other commercial software that comes with a
> cygwin DLL, the same thing can happen.

<rant>
This is because Cygwin uses the Windows registry to store
configuration, and there's only one copy per user. If there were one
copy per process, it would not be a problem. Cygwin should dump the
registry and use environment variables. This is supposed to be Unix,
isn't it?
</rant>

Sometimes you can get by with managing PATH carefully, but more often
you need to keep editing the registry to maintain two versions of
Cygwin.

> The MSys is a bash like shell.  I have never tried to get it to work
> under Emacs... I don't think that is what Kai is doing?

It does work under Emacs; I've used it to compile Maxima (another
project opposed to Cygwin).

--
-- Stephe