[h-e-w] Re: Another problem with MinGW shell in Emacs: directory trackin

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Another problem with MinGW shell in Emacs: directory tracking
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:46:59 +0200

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

> Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> So I found out how to switch the kbd layout from DE to EN.  I also
>> found out how to move keys around, and now I've got the escape and
>> control keys in sane positions.  And I found Windows PowerPro,
>> AllChars, and allSnap.
>
> could you give URLs for these?

http://www.windowspowerpro.com/                 PowerPro
http://allchars.zwolnet.com/                    AllChars
http://members.rogers.com/ivanheckman/          allSnap

(The only problem I found is that if I use PowerPro to enable me to
Win-click into a window to drag it around (I hate it that you have to
hit the title bar in Windows), then allSnap doesn't do its thing, and
the window doesn't snap.  A pity.)

> To be specific, I have a laptop with no right control key; there's a
> "windows menu" key there that should be a control key. Will one of
> these utilities let me do that?

No, but see: http://www.dirk-schwarzmann.de/programs/KeyDefiner.html

It's a German page, but I'll give you the highlights:

You need to enable Javascript.  Scroll down to look for the button
amidst the text.  Click it.  You get a new window with a keyboard.
Click the key to change.  It will blink.  Now click the meaning of
the key to change.  Repeat for all keys to change.  Click the button
labeled "Fertig".  You'll get a page with the *.reg file: cut and
paste it into some *.reg file, double-click that file, and Bob's your
uncle.

For example, I have told the escape key to behave like a caps-lock
key, so I clicked on escape first, then on caps-lock.

Also be sure to download deleteKeyDefs.reg to undo the effect of the
*.reg file you just saved.

If you use the program again to add a new key definition, you also
must click through all the old definitions; you can't load two *.reg
files one after the other to get the effect you want.  You have to
create one *.reg file with all the changes you want.

Kai