[h-e-w] Re: Openning Word documents without MS Word

From: Michael R . Wolf
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Openning Word documents without MS Word
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 22:58:53 -0800

Tom A Baker <address@hidden> writes:

>>    Sebastiao Barata <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>>    Hmm. I tried Open Office from Sun; is that the same thing. It is _not_
>>    100% MS compatible. People here keep up-to-date with MS office, so I
>>    have to also.
>
> Is 100% required?  One would have to use either a good fakeout or Word itself.

Word is not 100% Word compatible.....

Could you lower the bar to be only as compatable with Word as M$
currently cares to? I know I'm mixing technical, political, and
nonsensical reasoning, but I've used the
Word-is-incompatable-with-Word argument to difuse some
closed-source/open-source interoperable debates in the past. Perhaps
I'm deluded. Perhaps I made mindshare points. Obviuosly, YMMV.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!