[h-e-w] How to direct runemacs.exe to use an existing instance of emacs

From: Bacchu, Anjan
Subject: [h-e-w] How to direct runemacs.exe to use an existing instance of emacs
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 11:34:21 -0600

Hi All,

    First of all, thanks to all that have made ntemacs successfull.

    I am running 21.3 of ntemacs on windows XP and went through the NTEMACS faq but could
not find the solution to the issue. I have run addpm.exe (and hence registered emacs in the registry).

    How do I direct runemacs.exe to use(re-use) a running instance of emacs instead of
creating a new process and frame to display a file.
For eg, when I type
"runemacs.exe readme.txt"
from the command line, I expect that the file opens up within
an existing instance of emacs. But I find that runemacs.exe opens another instances of emacs.exe
in another window.

    I found that there is a module called gnuserv(mentioned in the FAQ)  which lets me do something
similar but why doesn't runemacs.exe support an option ? Most applications integrate pretty nicely
with Windows using the registry

(    I am running ORACLE sqlplus within emacs successfully.  But, I have a small issue -- when I run
ed from sqlplus, it launches another instance of emacs (not another frame).)

Also, how do I find the command line options for the emacs program ? usually a " --help" appended
to the .exe gets me the help in most cygwin/unix program.(eg "find --help")

Any hints and pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Best Regards,
ANJAN. B