Re: [h-e-w] How to direct runemacs.exe to use an existing instance of em

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] How to direct runemacs.exe to use an existing instance of emacs
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 17:54:38 +0000

I found that there is a module called gnuserv(mentioned in the FAQ) which lets me do something similar but why doesn't runemacs.exe support an option ? Most applications integrate pretty nicely
with Windows using the registry

I don't understand the connection here between reusing a running instance of Emacs, and integrating with Windows using the registry. Anyway, you found the answer to your question - use gnuserv/gnuclient.

( I am running ORACLE sqlplus within emacs successfully. But, I have a small issue -- when I run ed from sqlplus, it launches another instance of emacs (not another frame).)

set the environment variable EDITOR or VISUAL to gnuclient.exe (or gnuclientw.exe depending on the behaviour you want) instead of emacs.exe.

Also, how do I find the command line options for the emacs program ? usually a " --help" appended to the .exe gets me the help in most cygwin/unix program.(eg "find --help")

So "emacs --help" would seem to be an obvious thing to try then.