Re: [h-e-w] allow cygwin emacs to use _emacs?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] allow cygwin emacs to use _emacs?
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:49:51 +0000

The code for using _emacs as an alternative for .emacs was originally conditional on DOS, where .emacs is not a valid filename. It was included in WINDOWSNT builds by popular demand by people upgrading from DOS Emacs to NT Emacs in early days of NT Emacs. I don't think the Cygwin maintainers will see as much need for supporting it as the NTEmacs maintainer did in the early days of NTEmacs, especiailly since the aims of the Cygwin team are to provide a GNU environment that is as close to GNU running on Linux as possible.

But anyway, this is the wrong place to make suggestions for the Cygwin developers. This is a user list for NT Emacs, and I am not sure that the Cygwin Emacs maintainer reads it.