Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv on Window

From: Guy Gascoigne-Piggford
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv on Window
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2003 23:42:41 -0800

Well I have to say that the page hasn't been updated simply because as far as I know they are still accurate. I still use that version of gnuclient and have done pretty solidly since Emacs 19.

And no, I've never bothered testing it with Win9x since I don't use it, but I've heard from folks who have managed to use it successfully on Win9x - I seem to remember that getting it to run in Win95 took a few tweaks since I think that it required certain service packs, but if I remember correctly Win 98 and later are very straight forward and worked out of the box.

The biggest gnuserve complication is that the XEmacs folks forked the code and their version is very different to the original version (and incompatible since the lisp files rely on stuff that the FSF emacs doesn't support).

Guy

Michael R.Wolf wrote:

Michael R. Wolf <address@hidden> writes:

Why isn't gnuserv or gnuclient part of the standard distribution?

Alternatively, is there an up-to-date INSTALL file? The notes at this
3+ year-old page mention that Win9x is untested, and do not give any
installation procecures.

   http://www.wyrdrune.com/index.html?gnuserv.html~main

And there's no Win2K-ish INSTALL in here:

   http://www.wyrdrune.com/Files/gnuserv.zip

And the FAQ lists 6+ year-old source code problems

   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq3.html