Re: [h-e-w] spam problem, moderation [sic] enabled, members only

From: Eric S. Johansson
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] spam problem, moderation [sic] enabled, members only
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 15:02:32 -0500

Bill Pringlemeir wrote:

 >  Bill> Publicly visible lists which do not have a "members only"
 Bill> posting restriction are just a more focused form of an open
 Bill> SMTP relay.  It's a modest pain to make someone subscribe to a
 Bill> list just to post to it, but it's way below my threshold of
 Bill> "pain that matters".

I am not so sure about this.  The SPAMMERS are very clever.  They can
use a subscription to harvest poster email addresses and then forge
SPAMs with these from addresses.  I don't see how "From" addresses are
such a good form of authentication.

However, the bulk of present spam should be averted by David method. I
understand Michael's argument, but I think that the net benefit to
the list is on David's side at the moment.  What expert is going to
listen to a mailing list full of spam to help the newcomers?  If
spammers start to subvert this mechanism, then it should be
reconsidered.

spammers may be very clever but they can also be very dumb. I converted all of my mailing lists to the members only white list and I have had very little problems with spam coming through. It's not perfect and I think that had one breakthrough in two years but it's better than most.

I'm believe my work with sender pays[1] systems will pay off and provide a more robust barrier. look for initial announcements in the next couple weeks on its fresh meat.

---eric

[1] and yes, it won't hurt mailing lists.

--
Speech recognition in use.  Incorrect endings, words, and case is
closer than it appears