Re: [h-e-w] spam problem, moderation [sic] enabled, members only

From: Eric S. Johansson
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] spam problem, moderation [sic] enabled, members only
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:35:53 -0500

David Vanderschel wrote:
They may be clever, but I think they are also lazy.  I
do not think it is easy to automate the joining of
lists for the purpose of spamming them.  It might be
worth it for a very large list; but I do not think
this one really has the right kinds of 'customers'.

that is a better way of putting it. Clever but lazy. I like that. Mind if I file off the serial numbers?

but in terms of what is worth it, when it becomes worth it, they would be far better served to sit on the list, sniff addresses of public posters and then forge their way onto the list using those addresses. 2 in 1. Denial of reputation as well as spamming the entire list. (Only slightly tongue in cheek)

 > If anything, the rate of the spam has actually
increased.

according to Berry Schein (president of the world), spam has climbed approximately 70 percent in the last year. the only time I noticed the increase is when I do some statistics on the spam dumpster. Then I noticed I wait forever as Linux beats the disk into a pulp going after all the messages.

Fortunately it is easy to add legitimate
senders like Eric by just checking a box when
approving a post.

legitimate? Well, that might be going a bit far. Try lazy sod who hasn't updated his subscription address since his domain changed.

I got most of them...

;-)

---eric

--
Speech recognition in use.  Incorrect endings, words, and case is
closer than it appears