Re: [h-e-w] heading a large file

From: Michael R . Wolf
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] heading a large file
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 11:35:12 -0800

"Eric S. Johansson" <address@hidden> writes:

> I need to edit large files occasionally (approximately 1.1 GB) and I
> would appreciate a pointer to any Emacs packages that might help.
> Splitting files to components of less than 7 MB each creates just too
> many pieces.  I would prefer to keep things in one contiguous chunk if
> possible.

Why do you feel that you need to split them?

I've used emacs to edit large files, even binary files, directly. I'll
admit that I haven't needed to edit such large ones, so my mileage
obviously varies, but I am not aware of any inherent limit in emacs
that would prevent you from editing the whole file direcly.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!