Re: [h-e-w] ls-lisp update

From: Karel Sprenger
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] ls-lisp update
Date: 16 Feb 2004 16:25:46 +0100

Hi Francis,

>>> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 12:21:36 -0000, Francis J Wright (FW) wrote:
FW>
FW> An updated version is available via http://centaur.maths.qmul.ac.uk/Emacs/.
FW> Changes that I don't think I have advertised before are these:
FW>
FW> Re-implements the -F switch handling to avoid breaking symlink support; with
FW> w32-symlinks it should now be compatible with Cygwin ls.
FW>
FW> Provides an option to skip files whose attributes cannot be accessed (which
FW> caused me problems in C:\WINNT\ on Windows NT 4.0).
FW>
FW> I would be interested to know whether anyone else has noticed the attributes
FW> problem; if not then maybe my file system is screwed up.  The symptom is
FW> that explorer shows a couple of files with strange single-character
FW> non-ASCII names for which Emacs can access the name but not the attributes.
FW> Hence, ls-lisp could sort the directory by name but not by any other
FW> attribute such as date.  I'm surprised that it didn't cause ls-lisp to fail
FW> more dramatically, but I suspect that the attributes that it displayed for
FW> these strange files were bogus.

I didn't notice anything strange with ls-lisp when I still had an NT
4.0 system, but yesterday I noticed a file "~" in a directory on my
son's laptop which runs Windows XP Home Edition. So maybe it is a
Microsoft feature and not a bug?

Anyway, could you add the date a file was last changed to your site
(http://centaur.maths.qmul.ac.uk/Emacs/)? I mean of course in human
readable form.  This would be helpful in determining if redownloading a
file is needed.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Karel