[h-e-w] Re: NTEmacs, producing a file of "\xff".

From: Bill Pringlemeir
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: NTEmacs, producing a file of "\xff".
Date: 18 Feb 2004 12:01:00 -0500

 Raymond> A mode that causes massive slowdowns for me is Ispell.
 Raymond> Replaying macros while Ispell is active is a tedious affair.

Ispell is loaded on my machine.  I killed the Ispell process and tried
again.  For some reason, the font is different... No, I was actually
quoting "256" hex.  The font is the same.  However, after killing the
Ispell process with task manager, it became much faster.  Ie, what I
expect from emacs.  No... that is not it either.  I exited emacs, ran
my GNUS mailer and had an ispell process running.  Then is still can
not reproduce the problem.

 Raymond> I'm not familiar with the Flash format.  What you're doing
 Raymond> looks kind of cool.  Do you have a mode associated with XFF?
 Raymond> Can you switch to Fundamental mode (M-x fu)?

Sorry, I meant HEX FF by "\xff", not a key combo.  Flash is hardware,
like in a digital camera or a BIOS.  Blank flash is always hex "FF".
It has a floating gate which is set to ONE in bulk during an erase.
It is possible to bleed the charge off a single gate to make it zero.
You can not go back to one without an erase.  An erased flash is
always one (to my knowledge).  I did not try fundamental mode.
However, even text mode doesn't have the problem now.

 Raymond> You can change the radix of quoted values.  The following is
 Raymond> from the help for quoted-insert, which is bound C-q:

 Raymond> "The variable `read-quoted-char-radix' specifies the radix
 Raymond> for this feature; set it to 10 or 16 to use decimal or hex
 Raymond> instead of octal."

Hmm.  That is useful.

The strange aspect was that I used the NT task manager to sort by CPU
use and the "emacs" process takes the time (99%).  Did anyone else
reproduce this?  If not, perhaps it is ok to ignore for now.  I have
built my own Emacs (and it is an older version). "GNU Emacs 21.2.1
(i386-msvc-nt4.0.1381) of 2002-03-19 on BILL".  If it is happening on
other machines, I am willing to try things.

Thanks to you and Francis.

Regards,
Bill Pringlemeir.