[h-e-w] Re: Windows Emacs using Window print routines

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Windows Emacs using Window print routines
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:24:46 +0100

Hi Peter,

Peter Kaiser <address@hidden> writes:
> Actually, I think the original poster's point is well taken.

I am not disputing that Emacs could implement its own GDI printing
interface.  I fear that it might add complexity (another printing
interface in addition to the two we already have) but it could also
simplify installation.

> GNU Emacs should be able to print simply, just like, for instance,
> Windows Notepad: drop down a menu and select "Print", and if a
> default printer is defined, the contents of the buffer -- or a
> region -- are printed.

Which is what Emacs does.  The bit about "if a default printer is
defined" is just a bit more complicated than for Notepad.

> (Or, of course, invoke the equivalent function programmatically or
> with M-x.)  Why must I install more software (printfile, lpr,
> whatever) to do something for which Windows provides a direct
> interface?

Because Windows *doesn't* provide a direct interface.  The Windows
interface is very much indirect IMO for even the simplest
applications.  And this indirect interface is the only one given for
some printer types.

If Windows did provide a direct printer interface for USB printers,
Emacs could just redirect its existing printing packages to there,
just as it does now with PRN and SMB printers.

> Printing is extremely basic functionality: the user shouldn't have
> to install additional software simply to print things.

>From the POV of the user experience that is true, I'd say.  I can even
think of some technical advantages to GDI printing.  Now are you going
to do the actual work of programming it?

benny

PS:

> Or are there ancient purists who think we should still be using
> VT100 terminal emulation within command windows?

For some applications this actually is still the interface that is
used, and for very good reasons.