[h-e-w] Display list of types of files in a directory

From: rob . davenport
Subject: [h-e-w] Display list of types of files in a directory
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:32:38 -0500

Years ago I used to use a command-line utility on Windows called
PocketD which would (with the correct parameters used) display
a list of the types of files (based on extension) in a directory, and
the number and percentage of each.

For example,  a typical output might have looked like:

Directory of d:\projects\code\test1
Ext
-----
h       ****************** (34) 31%
cpp     ************** (28)             21%
obj     ************** (28)             21%
sbr     ************** (28)             21%
pdb        * (1)                          1%
etc.

That's not exact (and I doubt the numbers add up), but that's the
general
idea.
There were other options to show size allocated to each type etc.

Well, PocketD never worked on NT/2000/XP, and I've been without it since
I moved off of 95/98 years ago.  I still miss it on the occasions when I
want
to know what types of files exist in a directory. Usually that's not
hard
when
the directories fit on a page, but in some of the big projects at work,
it'd be
nice to know what file types are present without having to manually
search

a long directory listing.  And if I can't remember the extension it's
hard
to find.

So - does something exist in Emacs currently that could do this, and/or
would it be hard to write some elisp to do this? Some dired extension
maybe?

(I ask here rather than the general emacs group because this seems
much more of an issue on my Windows boxes than the *nix ones I use.)

And failing that - any suggestions for other (preferrably command-line)
tools
that would accomplish this?

Thanks for listening (reading?),

Rob