[h-e-w] ESS 5.1.24 and Emacs 21.3

From: Daniel_J_Celta
Subject: [h-e-w] ESS 5.1.24 and Emacs 21.3
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:06:39 -0500

Help
I am new using emacs and been trying to use ESS to link to Splus62 running
under Windows 2000 with not much success.

I have included a file name site-start.el under the following path:
"F:/Emacs/Emacs-21.3/site-lisp/site-start.el"
this file (See attached file: site-start.el)

Also, I modified the file ess-site.el under the following path:
"F:/Emacs/Emacs-21.3/ess-5.1.24/lisp/ess-site.el"

the file (See attached file: ess-site.el)

When running emacs I get no errors when loading up script files.  But when
trying to start splus I get the following error

The emacs variable 'inferior-S+6-program-name' does not point to S-Plus 6.
Please add 'splus61/cmd' to your 'exec-path' or specify the complete path
to 'Splus.exe'  in the variable 'inferior-S+6-program-name' in your
'.emacs' file.

I did try to locate the site-start.el file under the lisp folder instead
but I got the same error message.

It seems that emacs is not reading the ess-site.el file correctly when
loaded from the site-start.el.

The only way I can get it to work with Splus 6.2 is by doing 'M-x sqpe+6'.
This way I get ess to communicate and open a command line window to Splus
to the data directory of choice.

Is this the desired behavior?

Can someone please help?
Thanks