Re: [h-e-w] ESS 5.1.24 and Emacs 21.3

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] ESS 5.1.24 and Emacs 21.3
Date: 19 Mar 2004 11:09:43 -0500

address@hidden writes:

> Help
> I am new using emacs and been trying to use ESS to link to Splus62 running
> under Windows 2000 with not much success.

I have not used Splus62, but I do similar things with other tools
(most recently Maxima).

> When running emacs I get no errors when loading up script files.

What, exactly, do you mean by "loading up script files"? What emacs
keystroke or command are you executing?

> But when trying to start splus I get the following error

What emacs keystroke or command are you executing to "start splus"?

> The emacs variable 'inferior-S+6-program-name' does not point to
> S-Plus 6. Please add 'splus61/cmd' to your 'exec-path' or specify
> the complete path to 'Splus.exe' in the variable
> 'inferior-S+6-program-name' in your '.emacs' file.
>
> I did try to locate the site-start.el file under the lisp folder instead
> but I got the same error message.
>
> It seems that emacs is not reading the ess-site.el file correctly when
> loaded from the site-start.el.

Look in the *Messages* buffer immediately after starting emacs; you
should see a message about "loading site-start".

> The only way I can get it to work with Splus 6.2 is by doing 'M-x sqpe+6'.
> This way I get ess to communicate and open a command line window to Splus
> to the data directory of choice.

That seems reasonable; that's the standard way to start Maxima (M-x
maxima), and the bash shell (M-x shell).

> Is this the desired behavior?

Possibly.

For Maxima, I also defined keys that would send a line from a *.maxima
buffer to the inferior Maxima process; that same function starts
maxima if it is not already running.

There might be something similar defined for Splus.

Note that there is _not_ something similar defined for the bash shell,
although sometimes I think it would be nice.

--
-- Stephe