Re: [h-e-w] Accents in environment variables - HOME

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Accents in environment variables - HOME
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 19:09:17 +0200

Hi Michelle,

"sherkin.freesbee" <address@hidden> writes:
> The point I was looking to elucidate is: Why emacs behaves
> differently when launched directly, and when launched by runemacs ?

Ah, looks like I didn't read your mails well enough, I missed that
point.  I haven't looked at the runemacs.exe source yet.

Runemacs.exe may be confused about the coding-system to use.  Or you
might say the Windows is the culprit with its confusing ideas of which
encoding to use where.  The command-line and environment variables are
a badly documented area in this respect.  I'm not even sure that
different Windows versions are consistent about this.

Add to that that NTEmacs synthesizes its own environment variables in
some situations and reads values for them from the registry, and the
confusion is perfect.

I'll have a systematic look at it.

benny