Re: Re[2]: [h-e-w] Accents in environment variables - HOME

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [h-e-w] Accents in environment variables - HOME
Date: 10 Apr 2004 18:10:01 +0100

"sherkin.freesbee" <address@hidden> writes:

> BR> IOW, your environment seems to be in Windows' OEM encoding.  So do
> BR> things work if you set locale-coding-system to that?  You may have to
> BR> execute (codepage-setup 437), before you can use 'cp437.

Good spotting! Could cp850 be equally likely? I think a French locale
is more likely to be cp850 than cp437.

> That's right!
> I suppose I should put this in site-start.el to have the right
> profile loaded:
>
> (codepage-setup 437)
> (setq locale-coding-system 'cp437)

That should work, but check your config.sys and autoexec.bat to see
if something has set your default CodePage to 437 or 850. The default
I would expect is 1252 (the Windows Western European codepage). Do
other European users need to set locale-coding-system to cp850 or
cp437 to get what they expect? If so the default needs changing.