Re: [h-e-w] Installing ispell in Emacs

From: D. Scott Davidson
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Installing ispell in Emacs
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:10:35 -0500

Hello,

I believe I got my ispell from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/contrib/ispell.zip

This is what I did:

To set up on windows I did ...

I put the ispell win32 package in C:\Ispell and
made the changes to AUTOEXEC.BAT:

Added C:\Ispell\bin to my path statment:

SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\cygwin\bin;C:\j2sdk1.4.1_01\bin;.;C:\Ispell\bin

Set my home variable to C:\ :

SET HOME=C:\

I then copied all the files in the dictionary folder to my new HOME, C:\ .
(the ones that I wanted to use)

I moved my _emacs files to C:\.

Finally I edited my _emacs file to uncomment or take-out:

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Make the control characters show-up when editing files
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;;(setq inhibit-eol-conversion t)

For whatever reason, this was causing me problems.

|---------+---------------------------------------------------->
|         |           HFOverbeck <address@hidden>      |
|         |           Sent by:                                 |
|         |           help-emacs-windows-bounces+davidson=usgs.|
|         |           address@hidden                              |
|         |                                                    |
|         |                                                    |
|         |           06/20/2004 10:37 PM                      |
|         |           Please respond to HFOverbeck             |
|         |                                                    |
|---------+---------------------------------------------------->

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       address@hidden
                   |
  |       cc:
                               |
  |       Subject:  [h-e-w] Installing ispell in Emacs
                               |

>------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hello,

Just installed emacs-21.3 on Windows 98SE and see that I need ispell
for spell checking. I've scoured the web for simple instructions on
where to find and how to install ispell in emacs but can't find
anything that I can understand. I looked at the FAQ but the section on
ispell is dated and the links are dead.

Can anyone *please* provide me with---or point me to---step by step
instructions for obtaining ispell and installing it in emacs? I don't
come from a Unix environment so many of the instructions I've seen are
over my head.

I apologize for asking a question that certainly has been covered in
the past. However, I just joined the list and searching the archives
didn't help.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

HFOverbeck                          mailto:address@hidden