Re: [h-e-w] Middle mouse button is <down-mouse-1> instead of mouse-2

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Middle mouse button is <down-mouse-1> instead of mouse-2
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:11:19 +0100

Christian Schlauer <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem with the middle mouse button. I have a 3-button
> mouse, where the middle button is a scroll wheel as well. I cannot
> yank text with mouse-2, as I don't have mouse-2.

Many mouse drivers on Windows let you configure what the middle button
does. Check your mouse settings in the control panel to see if it
gives you the option to treat it as a middle button. If not, consider
whether you really need the fancy extra options your driver gives you,
since most modern mice work with the generic PS/2 mouse driver, which
leaves the middle button as a middle button.

> ,----[ C-h v w32-num-mouse-buttons RET ]
> | w32-num-mouse-buttons's value is 5
> |
> | Documentation:
> | Number of physical mouse buttons.
> `----

This is suspicious, as the wheel is not counted as buttons on
Windows. Did you set this manually? If you let Emacs detect this, then
at least you can press left and right buttons together to get mouse-2
if it detects your mouse as a two button one.