[h-e-w] Integrating Emacs with Microsoft Word, in some way...

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: [h-e-w] Integrating Emacs with Microsoft Word, in some way...
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:06:48 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all!

At work I am doing a great deal of writing in Word and as a vivid Emacs user I
can be a bit frustrated sometimes as I miss certain text manipulating and cursor
movement commands that I am used to.

MS Word is the "standard" for writing specifications in my company so using
something else (TeX, pure HTML or whatever) is out of the question.

I can, of course, write most of the text in Emacs and then just paste it into
Word where it can be formatted, or at least indented (I use "Outline mode" in
Word a lot) in the correct way. But it feels awkward to this manually.

Some time back I created a VBA macro that converted an Emacs Outline buffer into
indented text (for each "*" in a section, the text was "promoted" ons step) and
it worked quite good, but it does not work that well when you also have to deal
with pictures and tables in combination.

Does anyone else here have the same "problem" and have you some other neat
tricks than can help me avoid typing in Word as much as possible?

Btw, I don't think that tools like AntiWord is what I need in this case. My
intention is not to *read* Word docs in Emacs.

All tips are appreciated!

/Mathias