Re: [h-e-w] emacs freezes on a laptop

From: Christopher G D Tipper
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] emacs freezes on a laptop
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 01:10:49 +0100

Have you tried examining your _emacs file? Maybe sounds stupid, but I can
faithfully reproduce this behaviour by putting
(setq sgml-auto-activate-dtd t)
and emacs freezes for twenty minutes parsing the DTD every time I load an
xml document. Not recommended.

You didn't say what sort of documents you are trying to edit. I can't see how
your hardware would affect behaviour. It's obviously doing some kind of
computation. Try emacs -q.

Christopher

On 7 Oct 2004 at 22:17, Anthony Dardis wrote:

> Dear Emacs/Windows list,
>
> I am trying to get emacs to run on an IBM 600X laptop running XP SP2.
> (emacs used to run under '98 on the same machine.)
>
> Here's what happens: I open emacs, I read a file, I start to type, and
> toward the end of the second line (around 130 characters)
>
>       --emacs won't accept any input;
>       --the window can be minimized and maximized, but its contents won't be
> redrawn;
>       --the window can't be closed;
>       --cpu usage goes to 100%
>       --the emacs process adds about 300k of memory usage every 5 seconds,
> and
> doesn't stop doing this.
>       --and emacs never comes back. The only way to stop it is by using
> Windows
> Task Manager.
>
> I suspect this has something to do with the laptop or the laptop/os
> combination, because the very same tarball (a copy of
> emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz from gnu.org) when unpacked and run on a
> different machine does not exhibit these behaviors, it works just fine.
> I've tried different downloads of that file, I've tried an older (21.2)
> tarball, I've tried a different unzip program, the result is very
> consistently the same: right around the 130th or so character, emacs stops
> and won't come back.
>
> Thanks!
> Tony Dardis

  "Since light travels faster than sound, isn't that why
   some people appear bright until you hear them speak"
                                          - Steve Wright