[h-e-w] Emacs & SP 2

From: Relson, David
Subject: [h-e-w] Emacs & SP 2
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:00:43 -0400

Greetings,

Started a new job recently and, to my delight, found emacs-21.3.1
already installed on the XP SP2 machine, which is almost as good as a
linux box.

However, I soon encountered problems:

1) In "dired" mode, renaming a file causes:

        Emacs Abort Dialog"
        A fatal error has occurred!
        Select Abort to exit, Retry to debug, Ignore to continue

    Regardless of which option I use, emacs aborts.  Interestingly, when
I restart emacs and check the directory, the rename has been successful.

2) Wanting to edit python code, I've downloaded python-mode.el and added
the following to .emacs:

     (autoload 'python-mode "python-mode.el")
     (setq auto-mode-alist (cons '("\\.py$" . python-mode)
auto-mode-alist))

above).

    I've tracked the problem down somewhat.  Near the beginning of
python-mode.el is:

        (require 'comint)
        (require 'custom)
        (require 'cl)
        (require 'compile)

    In *scratch*, I can manually execute the first 2, but executing the
third "(require 'cl)" causes the abort.

     Alternatively, I can manually execute the first 2 require
statements in *scratch*, then load cl.el into a buffer and manually
cut/paste/execute each statement using *scratch*.  Having done this,
python mode is usable.

Has anybody encountered these problems?  Is there a solution?

Thanks

David