Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance

From: Richard M. Heiberger
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:36:54 -0400

> >(1) gnuclientw exits immediately after sending the file to Emacs, i.e. "-q"
> >is always set.
> >

> Many people consider this a feature, but I agree with you. Since there
> is no Window associated with gnuclientw, users will not notice that it
> hangs around until the buffer is killed, so I don't know what the
> rationale behind the current behaviour is

I have been under the impression that the sole difference between
gnuclient and gnuclientw is that the -q flag is always set for gnuclientw.

When I send a file from another program to emacs for editing, then I want to
return the edited file back to the original location and I use gnuclient.
gnuclient will freeze the other program until the edited file is returned.

When I send a file to be displayed in emacs, and do not want to wait for it,
I use gnuclientw.  The other program doesn't freeze and shouldn't freeze.
There is no reason to keep the gnuclientw alive as it will never be used.