Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance

From: Guy Gascoigne-Piggford
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:47:16 -0700

If you create a buffer called *server* before starting gnuserv then you do get some sort of debug trace in that buffer that can sometimes clue you in as to the problem.

i.e.

    (get-buffer-create "*server*")
    (require 'gnuserv)
    (gnuserv-start)

I have to say that it does sound like a firewall issue in which case you'll not see a whole lot in the server buffer since no communication is getting through. But it's worth a try.

Guy

Matthew X. Economou wrote:

(Sorry to all about quoting and HTML.  I'm stuck using OWA today.)

Allen,

That is a strange bug (start a text file e.g. from the command line or Run
dialog box, gnuclient starts a new copy of Emacs, then Emacs complains about
not giving a proper file).  I have not personally experienced that problem.
Did you change the program associations for text files?  If you can get me
enough detail to reproduce your problem, I will gladly work on fixing it for
you.

One thing you may try is verifying that when you use the sockets gnuclient,
that it and emacs only use the matching version of gnuserv.exe and gnuserv.el.
I vaguely recall having problems one time because I was using the wrong version
of the .el file with gnuserv.

Best wishes,
Matthew
.