Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance
Date: 29 Oct 2004 06:25:00 -0500

On Friday, October 29, "Lennart Borgman" <address@hidden> wrote:
>Or, which should be more simple: A new qualifier to
>make gnuclientw wait could be introduced, ...

No, you just use gnuclient in such case.

As far as I can tell, the only situation where you
_must_ use gnuclientw is in a shortcut where you might
have been trying to do gnuclient -q (if it would
work).  Aside from shortcuts, you never need
gnuclientw at all, as you can pass the -q argument to
gnuclient successfully in any other case (at least in
any other that I have encountered).

Some folks may regard gnuclientw as a convenience in
non-shortcut cases because it is somewhat simpler than
gnuclient -q.  True, but, by itself, hardly worth
introducing a separate version of gnuclient and then
having to keep in mind the relationship between the
two.  Clearly this dichotomy _has_ caused confusion;
but it need not have done so had the function been
explained better.

A danger that does loom is that additional arguments
which do make sense in a drag and drop shortcut may be
introduced.  Rather than do anything heroic with
gnuclient to address such an issue, I would advocate
the solution I suggested with a batch file and a PIF
for the shortcut.  With that approach, we really do
not need gnuclientw at all (indeed, never did).

Regards,
  David V.