[h-e-w] Emacs Resource (GDI) Leak on Windows

From: MJ Chan
Subject: [h-e-w] Emacs Resource (GDI) Leak on Windows
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:14:35 -0400

After Emacs has been running for a while (say, a couple of weeks), it eats
up a hugh chunk of GDI objects and will start getting into a symptom
of messing up Windows desktop by painting (drawing) in wrong area
(outside Emacs's window). And, a lot of other applications would not
work properly when this happens. I had to kill Emacs and start over.

The attached screenshot shows my Emacs was running with 9997 GDI
objects. By default, each windows process can only have 10000 GID
objects allocated. (it can be increased to 16,000 though by changing
registry).

I wonder somewhere GDI object is not freeed so that the count keeps
going up. This can be reproduced by opening up image file in Emacs.

This problem seem to be there for a long time. I reported back in
April, and never heard anything back from the list. So, I tried again
this time. I'm running a very recent build of "GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1
(i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)" with image support.

Anyone experienced this?

PNG image