Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance

From: Richard M. Heiberger
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:46:29 -0400

This discussion is getting too complex for a simple topic.

I send a file (under program control) to gnuclient if I want to edit it
and continue running my program with the edited version.  In this circumstance
the sending program freezes until it gets the edited version back.
The fact that there is frozen DOS window is an interesting detail but
irrelevant.

I send a file to gnuclientw if I want to display it in emacs.  In emacs I have
search and scroll capability that I don't have in the sending program.
I never want a response back to the sending program.  I don't want the sending
program to freeze until it receives a response.  I don't want an intermediate
program waiting either.

I use gnuclientw to send a file to emacs under program control in exactly the
same way
that I would send a file from Windows Explorer to emacs with drag and drop.

Because emacs accepts drag and drop there is no point to dragging and dropping
onto the gnuclientw icon.

If I sent the file under program control directly to emacs, then it would open a
another instance of emacs and thereby defeat one of the objectives of
emacs---that
all files are under the same instance of the editor.

gnuclientw does the right thing in the background so the file is displayed in
the
current instance of emacs.  When it has completed its task it vanishes.