Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance
Date: 31 Oct 2004 22:33:29 -0600

On Saturday, October 30, "Richard M. Heiberger" <address@hidden> wrote:
>This discussion is getting too complex for a simple topic.

Indeed.  That is why I tried to start at least one
new thread in which I suggested to forget about the
drop target as a requirement for gnuclientw.

>I send a file (under program control) to gnuclient if
>I want to edit it ...

>I send a file to gnuclientw if I want to display it
>in emacs.  ...

It should be realized that what Richard is saying here
concerns proper use of gnuclient and gnuclientw AS
THEY PRESENTLY EXIST!  I believe that some folks have
been talking about gnuclientw AS THEY WISH IT TO BE.
This is one source of the confusion.

>Because emacs accepts drag and drop there is no point
>to dragging and dropping onto the gnuclientw icon.

Unless there is no emacs frame open and the icon
exists on the Quick Launch bar.

>gnuclientw does the right thing in the background so
>the file is displayed in the current instance of
>emacs.  When it has completed its task it vanishes.

As far as I can recall, the above comment addresses an
issue which has not been raised.  This suggests that I
may not be getting the point.  (It looks like you are
regarding runemacs as the alternative.)

Regards,
  David V.