[h-e-w] UNC paths vs mapped drives

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: [h-e-w] UNC paths vs mapped drives
Date: 09 Nov 2004 15:34:55 +0100

I have been using Emacs 21.3 for a long time on Windows NT4 and
Windows 2000 and often opened files using their UNC paths, like this:

Find file: //myserver/myshare/myfile.txt

Now I am using the CVS version of Emacs, and it still *works* but
veeery slowly. Navigating to the file is quick enough, but when I open
it there seems to be a long delay.

If I map the share to a letter, like this:

c:\> net use z: \\myserver\myshare\myfile.txt

and opens file from that mapped "drive", it is as snappy as it was
before.

Anyone got any clue to why it work like this?

/Mathias