[h-e-w] NT emacs not releasing file (directory) reference?

From: Peter Kaiser
Subject: [h-e-w] NT emacs not releasing file (directory) reference?
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:47:05 +0100

I visit a file in emacs [GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195) of 2004-03-10 on NYAUMO] and save it if necessary. If I then try to delete or rename the file's containing directory, Windows (Win2K Pro SP4) sometimes prevents this because emacs appears to have the directory open; and until I exit emacs the directory can't be deleted or renamed. This can happen even if I kill the file buffer.

Is there some consistent way to force emacs to give up its reference to the directory so the directory can be renamed or deleted?

Pete