RE: [h-e-w] replacing NEWLINE or LFD

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] replacing NEWLINE or LFD
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:02:57 -0000

In interactive input, you need to quote control characters that don't simply self-insert, such as tab and newline, with ^Q, i.e. enter tab as Control-Q tab or Control-Q Control-I and enter newline as Control-Q Control-J.  (Control-Q return will insert a carriage return, ^M, which is probably not what you want.)

\n works in non-interactive input, e.g. "\n" is read as the string containing a single newline character, but the interactive input routines essentially quote the \, thereby inputting \n as the string "\\n", which contains the two characters \ and n rather than a single newline.

Francis