Re: [h-e-w] Suggestion of a good font standard font to use

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Suggestion of a good font standard font to use
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:00:40 +0000

Mason, Michael M wrote:
I would like to change the default font, but I'm not sure to what?

Does anyone have a good idea about a particular font which is easy
to read and does not strain the eyes?

I like Andale Mono, which is a free Microsoft font.  You can't download it
from Microsoft any more, but I think you can get it from SourceForge or I
could e-mail you a copy.  It's freely distributable as long as it's supplied
as the original self-installing EXE accompanied by a copy of the EULA.

Another alternative is "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", which is available from

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/ttf-bitstream-vera/1.10/

Like the other fonts people are recommending, it is a Sans Serif font (easier to read, especially at small sizes), and like Andale Mono it has very distinct differences between 0 and O and l, I  and 1, (especially useful for O and 0, which are very close on the keyboard and easy to accidentally hit).