RE: [h-e-w] RE: Suggestion of a good font standard font to use

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] RE: Suggestion of a good font standard font to use
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 10:35:58 -0500

It is hard to figure out the syntax of the font assignment statement.  I
thought I'd find it mentioned in the FAQs (I checked both the FAQ for
Win32 and the regular Emacs FAQ.)  Searching the Manual for font reveals
many topics on fontify and font-lock, but nothing on how to change the
font.  Then I remembered that there was a command to describe a
character.  Doing M-x apropos, I found the interactive function
`describe-char-after'.

So the way I came up with the font assignment statement is to first
select the font using S-mouse-1 (shift mouse click) in a buffer.  This
opens the Windows font dialog.  Then I chose FixedSys.  Then I did M-x
describe-char-after, which displays in the *Message* buffer everything
you wanted to know about a character in the buffer, including the font
it's displayed with.

After reading this thread I decided to try Bitstream Vera Sans Mono.  I
liked it so much, I decided to switch.  It seems to look better with the
faces that planner.el uses and takes up less screen space.

All the best!