RE: [h-e-w] where does defvaralias come from?

From: Phil Betts
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] where does defvaralias come from?
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:50:32 -0000

On Tuesday, March 15, 2005 3:03 AM, Mirko wrote:

> I am running 21.3 on windows xp.  I was trying to install a version of

> desktop.el with the desktop-change-dir function in it.  However, that
> version is using a lisp function defvaralias which my emacs is not
> recognizing.  I could not find any documentation regarding this
function.

> Could someone please enlighten me regarding this?

This is the help entry for defvaralias:

- defvaralias is a built-in function in `C source code'.
- (defvaralias SYMBOL ALIASED &optional DOCSTRING)
-
- Make SYMBOL a variable alias for symbol ALIASED.
- Setting the value of SYMBOL will subsequently set the value of
ALIASED,
- and getting the value of SYMBOL will return the value ALIASED has.
- Third arg DOCSTRING, if non-nil, is documentation for SYMBOL.
- The return value is ALIASED.

The NEWS entry announcing this function is in the section headed
"Lisp Changes in Emacs 21.4"

The version of emacs I am running is:
GNU Emacs 21.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195) of 2004-07-26 on BERATUNG4
This was (I believe) built from CVS, rather than an official release.

You can pick it up here:

(I've just noticed there's a more recent build available)

Phil

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com