[h-e-w] Re: Emacs-21.3, Macaulay2-0.9.2 packaged in Microsoft Installer

From: Rex Dieter
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs-21.3, Macaulay2-0.9.2 packaged in Microsoft Installer (.msi) format
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 06:54:46 -0500

Brian Elmegaard wrote:
> Rex Dieter <address@hidden> writes:

>>Not environment variable, but registry setting in
>>HKLM/Software/Gnu/Emacs
>>(or HKCU/Software/Gnu/Emacs if not admin)

> So this is the reason. Why does emacs use registry variables on
> windows? Why does it have to be so difficult to find these global
> settings in windows? (Not blaming you for these of course.)

AFAIK, that's just how the Windows port of Emacs works.  Not sure
why/how you see that as difficult.

>>For this last bit, perhaps a lisp guru here can help me try to use the
>>env variable %PROGRAMFILES% or at least %SYSTEMDRIVE% instead of
>>hard-coding c:/Program Files.

> Maybe this is where I can make just a minor contribution:
> (getenv "PROGRAMFILES")

Thanks, how do I reference this new variable it in lisp code?  Like any
other lisp variable?  (Sorry, I'm *very* new to this lisp stuff, and am
only drawing on working lisp examples and my general programming
experience from my undergraduate days).

-- Rex