Re: [h-e-w] Emacs Installers. Was: Control frame size on startup from .e

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs Installers. Was: Control frame size on startup from .emacs
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 14:53:29 +0100

David Vanderschel wrote:

AFAIK, you can get emacs to work under Windows
without modifying the registry; but I do think some
environment variables need to be set.  (Someone please
correct me if I am wrong on this.)

Since about 20.4, it is not necessary to set any environment variables. Emacs contains the logic
for working out sensible defaults based on the location of emacs.exe.

HOME, EMACS_UNIBYTE, and MANPATH.

HOME will default to C:\ if not set. In future it will probably default to something like %USERPROFILE% if not set and C:\.emacs or C:\_emacs do not exist. MANPATH is useful if you have external man pages you want to read from Emacs. EMACS_UNIBYTE is deprecated, I'd suggest trying Emacs without it.

Now if only someone could make a "live CD" for emacs
that would run under Windows.

It should be as simple as copying your emacs directory to the CD. You could make it a little more fancy by including an autorun.inf that runs runemacs.exe.