Re: [h-e-w] Unsubscribe information, etc. (was "help please")

From: David Vanderschel
Date: 10 May 2005 08:09:29 -0500

On Monday, May 09, "Dr Francis J Wright" <address@hidden> wrote:
that I had written
>> In the case of help-emacs-windows, the relevant information
>> is in the full headers of the messages, not in any footer.
>> In her response to Darren, Olive had simply appended the
>> relevant headers onto her message for Darren's benefit.

>I suggest it would be better if the unsubscribe
>information etc. were in a "footer" that is formally
>part of the body of the email message, as is the case
>with some mailing lists.  ...

In general, I would tend to agree.  However, for this
particular list, I don't think the problem has been
big enough to justify cluttering up every single post
with redundant boilerplate.

Note that Mailman has some capability for
automatically detecting administrative requests and
holding them for approval.  This does work some of the
time.  (Darren's request was not succinct enough.  :)

What I would ask of you regular subscribers is that,
when the occasional administrative request from a
subscriber does manage to get itself posted, readers
SHOULD NOT RESPOND on the list but should rely on the
administrators to handle the issue _privately_.  I may
not approve every post, but I do read every post and
much of my 'moderating' activity occurs behind the
scenes.

If enough people disagree with me on this issue, I am
flexible.  Mailman does provide a mechanism for adding
a standard footer to all messages sent out on the
list.  We could add a simple one that refers folks to
the Web site for administrative issues.

Thanks,
  David V.

PS - Even though the Web interface is back up now,
Darren still did not 'get it'.  I finally unsubscribed
him manually.