Re: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs Setup Utilities (was: Control frame size on startu

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs Setup Utilities (was: Control frame size on startup from .emacs)
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 23:59:10 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil J Mackie" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 1:12 PM
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Control frame size on startup from .emacs

> Lennart provided some helpful information about his installer and then
asked
> >>What is unacceptable here? Why is it so?
>
> So I thought I'd try to provide some constructive comment by rerunning the
> installer.

Thanks ;-)

> I started here
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/WThirtyTwoInstallationKit
> which on line 2 referred me to
> http://www.student.lu.se/~tps95lbn/Emacs/emacs.html
> which on line 2 referred me to
> http://www.student.lu.se/~tps95lbn/Emacs/EmacsSetupUtilities.html
> which on line 1 referred me to
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/WThirtyTwoInstallationKit
>
> For someone unfamiliar with these web sites a circular set of references
> like this is not helpful. From a beginners point of view, which of the
three
> pages should they study?
>
> I decided to study
> http://www.student.lu.se/~tps95lbn/Emacs/EmacsSetupUtilities.html

Yes, this is where you should start. You really have a point here, it should
have been easier to find the useful information. I did rewrote the second
one (http://www.student.lu.se/~tps95lbn/Emacs/emacs.html) after reading your
critic. Where to download and what is available at the moment should be much
more clear now I hope.

There are however reasons for the web page structures:

1) I wanted to have a home page for Emacs Setup Utilities.
2) I also wanted a wiki page.
3) I thought these should linke to each other (that is of course circular
references - but it is useful I believe).
4) The web pages with the documentation are the same as those contained in
the files you can download. I have not found any way other than including a
link to the wiki page to tigh them into the structure.
5) I have no definite home for the web pages yet.

Suggestions are welcome!

> If you post a link to an emacs installer I'll download it and provide more
> feedback.

Please try again! There is yet no version including Emacs but I hope to
provide one very soon.

Kind regards,
Lennart