[h-e-w] /tmp/emacs5 unsafe?

From: Raymond Zeitler
Subject: [h-e-w] /tmp/emacs5 unsafe?
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 11:57:50 -0400

I just tried upgrading Emacs from v21.3.1 to v21.5, which I downloaded
using this sourceforge link:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/nqmacs/emacs-21.3.50.1-20050130c-w32.
zip?download

I've used gnuserv before, but I thought I'd use (server-start) in its
place, as this excerpt from my .emacs shows:

(server-start)
;;; The following was used with Emacs 21.3.1
;;; start gnuserv
;(load "gnuserv")
;(setenv "GNUSERV_SHOW_EMACS" "1") ; force gnuserv to show emacs window,
always
;(if (or (eq window-system 'x)
; (eq window-system 'win32)
; (eq window-system 'w32))
;(progn
; (gnuserv-start)
; (message "gnuserv started.")))
;(setq gnuserv-frame (selected-frame))

(The complete listing of the original .emacs file is hosted here:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/RaymondZeitler)

But I get the error message "The directory /tmp/emacs5 is unsafe", and
the statements below the (server-start) -- keybindings, which I've
omitted -- fail to get executed.  The directory does exist, and Emacs
knows it's there because it added the emacs5 subdirectory in /tmp.

Can someone please help me work around this?  Also, is there a
"Simpleton's Guide to Revising the .emacs When Upgrading?"

TIA

--
Raymond Zeitler <address@hidden>