[h-e-w] Re: Patch to fix frame positioning with negative top/leftvalues

From: Francis Litterio
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Patch to fix frame positioning with negative top/leftvalues on Windows
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 21:17:01 -0400

Jason Rumney wrote:

> "Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>     > Windows, when you evaluate this Elisp code:
>>     >
>>     >        (make-frame '((top . -1) (left . -1)))
>>     >
>>     > the new frame will not be positioned with its bottom-right
>>     corner in the
>>     > bottom-right of the display.
>
>> I don't understand your reply, sorry. Are you saying that Francis's bug fix
>> will break "..." or that the reported bug (symptom quoted above) will break
>> "..."? Are you saying we shouldn't try to fix this bug because that might
>> break something else?
>
> I didn't understand the bug fix. I thought it was changing the way the
> frame was positioned when negative arguments are given, however it
> seems that misfeature already exists, and this fix was only a subtle
> change to that misfeature. So this bug fix is not the problem, it is
> the misfeature of treating negative coordinates specially.

Are you proposing that the meaning of a negative 'top or 'left frame
parameter should be changed?  If so, how?

My patch merely attempts to make negative 'top and 'left frame
parameters behave sanely in the case where a single monitor is used
(which is the vast majority of the use cases).
--
Francis Litterio
franl <at> world . std . com