Re: [h-e-w] w32-shell-execute for IE?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] w32-shell-execute for IE?
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:21:53 +0200

David J. Biesack wrote:

I'm extending the browse-url function I use so that it can select a specific
browser
to use based on the URL. (While I prefer Firefox, unfortunately there are many
sites
which use IE specific features or incorrect HTML which renders OK in IE but not
in Firefox.)

I use

   (w32-shell-execute "open" url)

to open a URL via my "default" URL protocol handler (Firefox).
I can launch IE via
(defvar win32-internet-explorer "C:\\Program Files\\Internet
Explorer\\IEXPLORE.EXE"
 "*Location of Internet Explorer")

 (start-process "Internet Explorer" nil win32-internet-explorer url))

but I'd like to know if there is a shell command to open a URL (via DDE) if
IE is already running, that is, is there something like

   (w32-shell-execute "open-in-ie" url)

that I can use even though my default browser if Firefox?

You can create one yourself in the Registry. Can't remember exactly what to do right now but looking at HKCR\http\shell\open might give you an idea. But be careful of course when editing the registry!