Re: [h-e-w] Emacs setup helper and msi installer [Was: Re: Emacs-21.3-5

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs setup helper and msi installer [Was: Re: Emacs-21.3-5 msi installer]
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 15:24:39 +0100

Brian Elmegaard wrote:

When I run the user-init-file is not set. It is nil. Why is this?

If you haven't created an init file yet, then nil is the expected value.

Is upstart options, a leftover from a previous install (I think
everything was deleted from the registry), or a bug?
What is "upstart options"?

If I add:
; Brian's suggestions
(setenv "HOME" (getenv "USERPROFILE"))
(cd (getenv "USERPROFILE"))
(setq user-init-file (concat (getenv "HOME") "\\_emacs"))

I get a user-init-file where expected, but it has to be read manually
by load-file. why?
Because you are already past the point where the init-file is loaded.

The directory structure confuses me. Under the emacs directory I have three dirs:
emacs-21.3, setup and site-lisp.

Under emacs-21.3 there is another site-lisp, which seems to be the one
that is actually used. What is the separate one doing?
Both are in the lisp search path (at least with the default lisp search path). One is for version specific site-lisp files, the other for version independant site-lisp files.