Re: [h-e-w] lisp library issue

From: David Robinow
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] lisp library issue
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 18:29:58 -0400

Luis Aguirre wrote:

I'm trying to use asm-mode.el but Emacs cannot find it.
What can I do?

I know I have to create a .emacs or _emacs file at my "home" directory  but
I do not know how to do that.
 C-x C-f ~/.emacs

The above will work. The value of "~" is defined by the HOME environment variable. If HOME does not exist, C:\ is used.
 You should set HOME to appropriate value before entering Emacs.

I'm not exactly sure what "Emacs cannot find it" means.

What happens when you type:
C-x C-f $EMACS_DIR/lisp/progmodes/asm-mode.el

What happens when you type:
M-x asm-mode

What happens when you type:
C-h v auto-mode-alist
Are there any entries in the value returned which match asm-mode? Do those entries correspond to the file type you're trying to use?

What version of emacs are you using?